Monday, September 30, 2013

Monthly Summary - September

I posted in Monthly summaries for Groups #3 and #4
Monthly Summary

                During the month of September I began looking at brain and mind based learning and development theories as the focus of my research for this course.  I spent a lot of time working through the details of the physical structures of the brain and how they work together in cognition, learning and memory.  From here, I worked out a literature review that focused on my findings during the research phase.  Of specific interest were the works focused on understanding the triune brain and how each structure supports a unique function while still collaborating towards the unified activity involved in cognition.  Also considered were the importance of the brain’s plasticity allowing for new learning to occur through repetition and patter recognition as older under used information is lost.  Finally a distinction was made between the concept of the brain and the typical yet very generic comparison that is made between it and what we think of as a computer system.

                For the next step in this process I am turning my attention to the program review looking for examples of brain based learning technique being put to use in the practice of adult learning.  I have begun by searching the internet using key word combinations such as “brain-based Learning”.  So far I found a school that offers degree programs in brain based learning so I am interested to see what comes from a closer look there.  I have also found lots of theory but not a great deal of in practice discussion.  Honestly this doesn’t much surprise me.  I think that the topic while very timely is not one that lends itself to flashy program design.  This is an issue I think I will contend with for much of this course. 

Once I have identified a solid program I will conduct a deep dive into its inner workings and try to pull out the main points for review.  I need to really look hard at the instructions for the assignment and make sure that I am covering the requested material.  I feel like there is a lot of room for error in this especially with regard to the topic I have selected.  I would like to identify two to three different programs to review and hopefully they will provide me with enough information to make a successful study.

1 comment:

  1. Chris,

    Very good summary! I like how you described what you have found about brain and learning in quite academic language. Since it is not a easy topic, how to apply it in practice will be very beneficial for practitioners. We look forward to reading more about your project!

    Bo

    ReplyDelete