Thursday, October 31, 2013

October Monthly Summary

I commented on October Monthly Summaries for groups 3 and 4
October Monthly Summary:

            The month of October was incredibly packed in this class. We had the program investigations and then the syllabus designs that were due.  I continued to focus my efforts on the functional workings of the brain and how they relate to student learning.  The programs I reviewed gave me some good ideas with regard to ways of stimulating learning and how to take advantage of theories that relate to brain based learning.  What I love about my topic is that there are so many different directions that a person can take to approach a theory of learning.  I sometimes found it hard to remain focused on any one idea to create a well thought out process.

I was challenged with turning some of my theory based ideas into actual usable practices.  This came into focus when I went from the program investigation to the actual syllabus design.  I think for the lion share of this course I have been thinking in terms of theory and very focused on the brain and not asking myself how what I am doing would be put into practice in the field.  When designing my syllabus I had to take a step back and really question what my takeaways had been and how I wanted to push them to the next level.  I finally did pull it all together and came up with a program that I could relate to my everyday life and my passion for exercise and fitness. 

The next step in this process is to find an academic to review my syllabus and get their feedback with regard to my work.  I am worried that I won’t find the 2 required in the time I have to get it done.  Hopefully I will find a few willing participants in the next few days that can help me with some quick feedback.  Shortly after that we will have our final paper due so I am really going to be working hard to get that done.  I have really enjoyed this course I am really thinking this topic might make a great thesis if I can keep it going.

 

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes it is hard to think about how to put our knowledge based ideas into real life practice, but once we put little puzzles together it makes a lot more sense. The program investigation gives us more insights of what others have done and we could use that as reference. I am glad we had that assignment prior to syllabus design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. William,
    I feel that you have such a passion for what you are doing! It's exciting and motivating for me. Continue your hard work and I think you will be so pleased with the outcome. We're almost finished!!

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete